Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lions, and Tigers, and SNAKES!!!! OH MY!

We FINALLY went camping last night. We've been talking about it since Spring, but never scheduled it, never got around to it. So, as our final Summer Hurrah before school starts on Monday, we packed up and went camping. Or, to be more specific, Ray packed up while I was at work, and I joined later. Denise and her family called Ray while he was packing to ask where we'd gone camping in the Stansbury Mountains before, because they were trying to find a place to go camping. Ray told them he was just leaving to go to those mountains to get a sight, and the families were joined in purpose. Which meant that when I got to the camp site, dinner was done and dessert was cooking. Less work for me! :)

Ray and Lance took all the kids but J up the road to find a place to go rock climbing. Once J realized he was the lone man in camp, left with two mommies, he was pretty insistent that we go find "Daddy" because he was "gone". After all my distractions stopped working on him, and he was grabbing my hand saying "mon!", Denise and I decided to go for a walk with J. It was twilight, and nice. We were walking along, talking, and strangely J had never let go of my hand. Perhaps he was afraid that if he did, he would lose his walk and I'd escape back to the campfire. We were happily on our way, when from just up ahead on the side of the road, I heard a loud, startling sound. Now, slow down time, so I can describe it for you - My brain at first wanted it to be an angry chipmonk, but my eyes deciphered the shadows and it was a rattle snake!!! That was the first half second, when I was completing the step I had been taking. Once my eyes told my brain what was making the sound, I shrieked and swung J up into my arms. J had been walking on the side of the road, right for the snake. I don't even want to think about how it would have turned out if J hadn't been holding my hand, running out front of us. Too scary for mommy.

As it was, I freaked J out. I have never been so grateful for a rattle on a snake before. That snake warned us way before we were within striking distance, and I obeyed. I think you would, too. Snake says, You're too close! I say, How far away do you want me to go??? We turned right around, and J stayed in my arms all the way back. Not only in my arms, but with his head down on my chest. All he could say was, "Bee. Cary." When I agreed, saying, "Yes, that SNAKE was scary!" He changed to, "Nake. Cary." He wasn't chanting it, but there wasn't much other chatter. I could have probably stayed more calm, and he wouldn't have been so afraid - but I don't mind if my son is afraid of snakes for the rest of his life, as his dad predicted when I told him the story.
Needless to say, I really didn't want to camp in an area where there were SNAKES! I've known that there are rattlesnakes in Utah, as a theoretical thing. I've NEVER encountered one. Courageously, I never even suggested that maybe Ray could take down the tent and go home. I swallowed my fear, and we had an uneventful night.

The snake was not a big one, what I would describe as a teenager snake. I hope to never see another! Snakes in the zoo, cool. Snakes in the wild - petrifying!!!

J is two today!!! Happy Birthday, J-a-by! I am SO GLAD we're not in the hospital, or worse!!! Love you!


Here is Ray, setting the top rope so the kids could rock climb the next day.


M in her rock climbing harness.


E playing with rocks.


S after climbing.


J, trying to put the helmet on, all by himself.

No comments: