Saturday, October 4, 2008

Family History

I am a family history name extractor! I've been on again, off again with family history work, but I was just reminded of this opportunity to volunteer from home by my Relief Society President, and finally sat down and checked it out. I went through the online training, printed out a certificate that said I'd done it, and downloaded my first batch of names. SO EASY! I got 40 names done in about 30 minutes. 

All it really entails is looking a digital copies of handwritten documents (death certificates, census records), and filling out pre-made forms about the information contained in them. My first was a census record, with 40 lines on it, and a different person on each line, and I just transcribed their names, ages, and place of birth, so that people searching for those names can do so with a search engine, instead of having to look through pages and pages of reports. 

I feel pretty cool doing it! And it gives me something to do when I'm at odd ends, sitting at home, and would normally turn to playing minesweeper, or Sudoku. :)

All you have to do to sign up is go to www.familysearch.org. If you've ever got 15 minutes extra in the day, and would like a good project to spend that time on, consider spending it on this! 

No comments: