"When was the last time I heard something taught that truly CHANGED the way I act, or think. That changed who I am?" I love to study my scriptures, I love the Spirit that I feel as I make connections, find patterns and themes. It teaches me about the character of God; but it never really CHANGES me. It just encourages me to continue, to endure to the end in the things that I am doing. However, I am far from perfect, and should be looking more at what I can change, in addition to continuing in the path I am going.
I can't really think of anything that has left a lasting change in my life. I taught a lesson in Relief Society about missionary work, and for the week leading up to that, I prayed for missionary experiences - but that effort stopped after I taught the lesson (which I did NOT teach well). So, I sit down to watch Conference, and that question is at the forefront of my mind, and I think that perhaps I should be listening not just for the doctrine that confirms or expands what I know, but that I should be listening for what I should change. Listen to the things the Spirit emphasizes in my mind and heart, as things I could and should add to my character.
The Spirit has been trying to teach me this lesson for a while now - I had a lesson in institute at the beginning of the summer, where the Spirit made me the promise that if I would ASK what I need to change, need to start doing, I would not be overwhelmed with all the things that I do imperfectly, but that I would receive those things that I am ready to DO right NOW, am able to change without impossible effort, and that I would receive the support from the enabling power of the Atonement to truly make those changes in my life. Quite a promise - too bad I never acted on it! That has informed this experience, it has been brought to my remembrance, so that I know that after conference is over, I won't have a long list of things from each talk that I will never be able to do, but if I listen to the Spirit, I will have true direction to follow that will lead me onward and upward. Not that it will be easy, but it won't be impossible.
So, I sit with my pen and paper in hand to listen to modern-day prophets and apostles, and try to pay as much attention to the Spirit as to what they have to say. The first thing came from the prophet, as a challenge to all of us - Pray that those areas of the world that are currently closed to the Gospel will be opened, with the promise of great miracles if we will all join together in prayer. That prayer will lead me to think more about missionary work, and if I pray with intent, I will become a better missionary.
I love General Conference!
No comments:
Post a Comment