Wednesday, February 11, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

25 Random Things About Me

1. This is the second time I'm trying this - I hit the back button by accident, and it ERASED 12 OF MY ANSWERS!! ARGH!

2. I love to read. Historical Fiction, Sci-Fi, Fantasy are my top three, though I'm a sucker for a good love story. I could be named the head of the Tooele Brandon Sanderson Fan Club, because I am always trying to introduce new people to his books. I think I'm on at least number 6! I got all four of his books for myself for Christmas this year, and the Tooele Library only has two, so if you're in the mood for a good read, I have a book for you!

3. I put off changing stinky diapers for as long as possible! I have a stinky boy on my lap now, and DON'T WANT TO CHANGE HIM!!!

4. I play around with arranging music. It all started when I was called as Ward Choir Director, and I wanted to add some interest to the hymns. I have a music program on my computer that is amazing, so I can hear the harmonies without having to play them on the piano myself - that would be impossible! I feel like I do okay with the choir parts, but the piano parts are elementary, if not pre-school-ish. Not that it matters - as Choir Director, I can choose what music I want, and the only wat to stop me is to release me! :)

5. I watch too much TV. TiVo is the BOMB! Not just any DVR for me, TiVo! Recognizing this about myself, I tried to avoid the new shows this season, so as to avoid adding any other shows to my line-up. It didn't work very well, as I still added. Pushing Daisies, Bones, House, NCIS, Lie to Me, The Mentalist, Psych... too many more, but those are the top.

6. I like camping and hiking. Sleeping... is sometimes a challenge, especially when pregnant, but it is great fun.

7. I love to sing. Harmonies are marvelous (see #4). When singing in church, I'll sing the first verse soprano, then the second verse alto, the third tenor, then the fourth tenor an octave higher. If there are less verses, I'll skip the soprano part. Too easy. I'm NOT a soloist, comparatively, but I am great in a choir.

8. I just started reading my kids a bedtime story at night. I used to read three books every night, but they were little kid books, and I weaseled myself out of that habit years ago. However, I have such strong memories of my mom reading The Hobbit to us as kids, that I want to recreate that with my sweet ones. The first book we're reading, and almost done with, is "Peter and the Starcatchers." Very fun to read aloud. Marvelous to watch my girls CLING to each other and squeal in frightul delight as I draw out the suspense of what will happen to Peter! Amazing to hear my 4-year-old boy, whom I thought would be too young to understand, talk about what he thinks will happen next. After we finish the Peter trilogy, perhaps I'll try The Hobbit. But, only if I can recreat my mom's Gollum voice!

9. Before last year, I had never traveled east of Utah. Now, I have been to Kentucky, and can say I have been to Minnesota and Georgia, as well, though that was just airports. I brought along a Brandon Sanderson book to reread, just on the plane, and ended up finishing it before my plane ride back. Even on rereading, I can't put it down. That is why I bought it. (see #2)

10. I have lived in Utah, and Arizona. I know, short list, so I'll list the cities! Born in Salt Lake, moved to Sandy when just a few months old and grew up there. Moved to Logan for college, a year later moved to Phoenix as a newlywed, 9 months later moved back to Salt Lake, then Taylorsville, then Sandy again, then Tooele, and here I am!

11. I walk on my treadmill at night, while playing Guitar Hero III. Who would have thought that getting an XBox 360 would have gotten me OFF the couch? My kids come down and tell me the music is too loud, they can't get to sleep 2 FLOORS AWAY. Next time, I should tell them, if it is too loud, you're too old!

12. I am the best Guitar Hero player in my family, for now. Probably something to do with the music. I don't even try the other games. If I can't be the best, why try? :)

13. We just got a new (for us) car. 99 Honda Civic, first car we paid cash for, thanks to a great tax return. Child credits are the BOMB!

14. I know, my slang is like 13 years old. Deal. (Wow, it just keeps getting older!)

15. The reason I don't like changing dirty diapers? (see #3) I changed him, and he's stinky AGAIN! Why do baby's bodies KNOW how to now fill a diaper? "ooh, there is already yucky stuff, I'm not going to realse MORE yucky stuff until that first stuff is gone!" A waste of resources!

16. My husband just recently lost his job - he was downsized. Stupid Economy. It only took three weeks for him to start to work again, so we're lucky. He went back to a job he'd left, and I am, too!

17. I like to cross stitch, but don't want too much cross stitch around my house, so I started making a blanket of all different cross stitch patterns, with a family theme, and a "birth certificate" for all four of my kids in each corner. Now that I'm out of corners, does that mean I'm out of kids?

18. I'd like to learn how to embroider (and how to spell), and crochet. I like feeling like I'm creating.

19. I live too much in the present. I don't remember the past, especially people in the past, enough, and I don't plan for the future at all. It lends to a content life, but contentment isn't everything.

20. I love to teach. Being noticed by other people - not so much - but I love to feel like I'm working with the Lord for the benefit of other people, to feel like I'm actually hearing and understanding what He is telling me, and that He trusts me enough to use me. Trusts me to not get in the way of what He wants to say.

21. I miss Gilmore Girls! (see #5). I know I running out if ideas, good thing I didn't do the 45 random things! I want Lauren Graham to do more work!

22. My hair grows like a weed. Not that I think it looks like a weed, though there are pretty weeds. I just don't cut it very often, and before I know it, it is LONG!!!

23. I like to scrapbook. I use a computer program and a color printer, but it is cute enough for me. It also fills my creative yearnings.

24. I am not a good housekeeper. At least, not a consistent one. When I clean, I do it well enough, it is just doing it regularly that I fail at.

25. I love my husband, and my kids. J's mischievous grin melts me, S is so sweet and affectionate, E is so gentle and loving, and M is growing such a personality. Ray works so hard for us, and is so unselfish. I truly believe I live a charmed life.

1 comment:

~Jordyn said...

I miss gilmore girls too!:(