Monday, January 11, 2010

I love questions!

I learn often more from a good question than from a good lesson. It prompts me to ponder, it allows me to invite the Spirit into my thought process. Such is the case here. A question was asked, and I found my answer, and in expressing my answer, I found I liked what I said. So, here is the question, another person's answer, and then my own (LONG) answer. It is as much to save it for myself as to share, but I've wanted to express this thought for a long while.

First, today a member of the LDS Choir Yahoo group I am a member of stated:

Subject: [LDS Choir] Devil's Advocate: Does the Lord really qualify whom he calls?

A couple weeks ago, I believe it was Jim Carter who said (innocently enough), "but the Lord qualifies whom he calls."

I know I've heard that adage used a lot, mostly as a defense mechanism that's hard to argue with. But I would like to know where it is actually said. I can't find it anywhere in the standard works.

But okay, let's say it's true....

Going back in semi-recent history, a woman in our stake was once called to be a ward organist. She could barely play the piano, but in the eyes of the bishopric, that was good enough for the organ. So she was called, set apart, and played in sacrament meeting, badly. (See my previous tirade about how good piano trumps bad organ any day of the week.) This lady got herself a few organ lessons, but the net result was not much different than when she began, and it was really a disservice to the congregation, if you happen to believe (as I do) that the function of hymns and congregational singing is to provide a worshipful, uplifting experience that neither distracts nor detracts from the Spirit.

There are many callings within the church that almost anyone can learn. I haven't met a single Meetinghouse Librarian who hasn't thrown herself wholeheartedly into the task, and done beautifully. I've observed several people serve as Sunday School teachers who were originally nervous, but grew to love the classes they taught, and really became excellent at it. I've known a couple Relief Society and Elders Quorum presidents who felt completely inadequate at the outset, and then became incredibly dynamic and effective through the particular skills and abilities each one possessed.

I think with music, it's a little bit different. Aside from my example above, we've seen recent examples written up in this group about ward choir directors who are called, but not necessarily with a high level of ability. Are these people going to pray really really hard one night, and wake up the next morning qualified? Don't I wish!

This is not to say that music should be left only to the musically proficient. But those of us in music callings - whatever it may be - must realize the profound importance of music in the church, and the role it plays in our weekly worship. And if skills need to be developed, DO NOT sit back and wait for the Lord to qualify you! If a person wants to magnify a calling in music, that person needs to expend a little effort and seek some direct training.

Some of you here have mentioned taking new choir directors aside and offering pointers and tips. I think that's invaluable. Other resources (such as the Portland Regional LDS Music Workshop, or something similar in your area) provide excellent training among peers who are in the very same boat.

Hopefully your stake doesn't work the way the pattern seems to be in my stake: once all the "serious" callings are made, then the bishopric takes stock of who's left over, and the music callings are left for the end. If any of the leftover people happen to play a little piano, that's just icing on the cake. In many cases, it's not a question of the Lord calling anybody; it's the bishoprics deciding who from the available stack of people can play the piano, and dividing up the music callings among them. That's what happened to the ward organist I mentioned above; as it turned out, the Lord wasn't directly involved in that decision-making process. But whither a musical calling comes, there's no reason a person cannot choose to qualify himself or herself with a little effort.

A sister responded later that day:

I agree that in some wards music callings are the last on the list to be filled. I now live in a small branch. I was recently called to be the music chairperson, organist and choir director. I have never been the music chairperson or a choir director. I was the choir accompanist for many years with lots of different choir directors; I was organist for years, too.

I know that being on the other side of the piano is a little different for me when leading the choir. Our first choir performance was our Christmas program. We received many compliments. We had a family that moved into our branch; their first Sunday was the Christmas program. The family is musically talented and they were so excited to come to a branch with so much talent. I would not consider our branch musically talented, but we have many people that practice their music at home.

With all of that said, I think that if I had never accompanied a choir - I would not feel very adequate to be the director.

About 20 yrs ago - I was called to be the organist of a large ward without any organ experience. I taught myself how to play the foot pedals. I learned what "stops" to use for songs to sound nice. But I practiced a lot. When our ward got a nicer fancier organ - I was in a panic. I quickly found the organist from the other ward that met in our building to give me some pointers on the new organ. I've never considered myself as an organist. In our branch we have a piano/organ. This is much easier to play. If I ever move to a big ward - I would never tell anyone that I am an organist.
That response was enough to finally prompt me to admit to being the one to say:

I think it was me who said that the Lord qualifies who he calls. I have been reading with great interest the different responses to the question - do I really believe that?

I KNOW it to be true in my own experience. I have yet to have a calling that I did not feel the Lord's help expanding my own talents, so that I was able to fulfill the calling better than I would have on my own. My whole LIFE is expanded to be greater than if I were trying to live it alone.

My daughter has a new primary teacher. From past experience with her (seven years of living in the same ward with her), I know that she does not consider herself knowledgeable in the Gospel. She was not raised in the gospel, and misses having lifelong primary, young women's and relief society lessons. As much as I understand that she suffers from a strong self doubt, I also know that she could be doing more to get over it. She emailed me last week and asked me to teach her class on Sunday, because she felt she was getting sick and didn't want to pass on any germs to the kids. I agreed, because it is not my place to question her honesty, but she was in church on Sunday, and went to Sunday School and Relief Society. I can't help thinking that she was just petrified at the thought of teaching a lesson, and was escaping. The week before, all she had done with the kids was play hangman for the hour that they were in class together. The Primary has called a team teacher for her.

My very recent experience with her, and past experiences serving with people, have led me to believe that the very experiences that she desperately desires, the Lord is trying to provide her with. It is true for us all. I had a disturbing conversation with a friend of mine, as she was expressing how she felt that our bishop could probably be less impatient with people, letting them make mistakes in their callings instead of knee-jerk reaction of replacing them. I said that the Lord's will is what drives the ward, and she replied that the Bishop has his own personality, and the Lord isn't the only one involved in callings.

That is true - BUT the Lord has said, "Whether by my voice, or the voice of my servants, it is the same." The Lord is omniscient, and He truly can be fully aware of the ward, and every member in the ward, at all times, in every ward in the world.

Now, He has no control over the agency of individuals, and He can't control how the opportunities He provides to them are used. If this sister in my ward would make an effort to teach this primary class, she might learn that the best way to learn is to teach. But she is too overcome with the fear that the children will ask questions that she can't answer, and will ridicule her for her lack, that she can't bear to try. Yes, the Bishop could let people stay in their callings longer, but the fact that the Bishop is comfortable in releasing them means that the Lord is also comfortable in releasing them. There is rarely ONE right action to take, and often more right choices than wrong.

Having been in calling with stewardship over others, there is one thing I know - I know what NO feels like. It is not often that I feel a resounding YES, YOU ARE PERFECTLY ALIGNED WITH MY WILL, CONTINUE ON THIS PATH. I live in the absence of NO, because I know how it feels to have the Lord say to me, STOP, PLEASE, AND CHANGE DIRECTION. WHERE YOU ARE HEADED IS NOT THE RIGHT PATH. When the Lord wants to say no, He says it. If He doesn't say it, it is because He is allowing agency to work - and He is agreeing to uphold the decision you have made in your stewardship. He only says NO to decisions that He can't uphold - for the sake of the ward, for the sake of the individual, He can perfectly balance all these things all the time.

So, when people say that it is just a Bishop making a decision, not the Lord, I disagree VEHEMENTLY. If it was NOT the Lord, the Lord would let that Bishop KNOW. That Bishop would not be able to SLEEP until it was changed.

Now, that being said - not everyone's needs are perfectly met perfectly all the time. There may be situations where ONE person NEEDS an experience, and the rest of us will happily be able to continue on our way while that person has their experience. Or, even not so happily, but it will not effect our faith or devotion too adversely. Just because everyone is not comfortable does not mean that the Lord is not perfectly aware of what is going on. I trust that He has a greater purpose than I can always see, and it is often only in hindsight that I can see His Hand. I trust His Hand is always there, though. Just as President Eyring testified his his talk in General Conference, the more we look for the Hand of the Lord, the more we will see it.

This is truly much more complex than words can express. I cannot exactly describe every circumstance that has led me to this iron clad belief. However, I can quote the scripture that most perfectly describes my trust - D&C 98:1-3 1 Verily I say unto you my friends, afear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give bthanks;

2 Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament—the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.

3 Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory, saith the Lord.

No matter what happens, the Lord has the power to fulfill this promise to each of us perfectly, for the Lord does nothing imperfectly - ALL THINGS shall work together for your good. For the good of each member of the ward. Even when my daughter's primary teacher chooses to not teach her in Primary - that can work to my daughter's good. How, I can't tell you. But I don't doubt that the Lord can do it.

I know, because I have read your comments, that many of you have had very difference experience than I have. I have read them, and struggled in how to respond with this sentiment. I can't exactly tell you it was the Lord's will, or that the person simply isn't trying hard enough, or in this instance it was just the Bishop, not the Lord. But, I am not moved from my faith that the Lord is deeply and personally involved, and that there are things we can't see happening that are pleasing to Him.

I think the below response, from lokitty6 is a grand example of what can happen when someone takes the task in hand, and truly tries to do ask the Lord asks of them.

D&C 24:9 And in temporal labors thou shalt not have strength, for this is not thy calling. Attend to thy calling and thou shalt have wherewith to magnify thine office, and to expound all scriptures, and continue in laying on of the hands and confirming the churches.

D&C 18:8 And now, marvel not that I have called him unto mine own purpose, which purpose is known in me; wherefore, if he shall be diligent in keeping my commandments he shall be blessed unto eternal life; and his name is Joseph.

D&C 35:13 Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit;

D&C 75:10 Calling on the name of the Lord for the Comforter, which shall teach them all things that are expedient for them

Clayton & Christine Christensen, February 2005 Ensign "We have concluded from our own experiences and from watching others that finding people for the missionaries to teach can be easy and natural for all of us—if we go about it the Lord’s way. Despite their inexperience, we can trust the missionaries to teach the gospel well, because whom the Lord calls, He qualifies."

Elder Neil L Andersen, May 1993 Ensign "I have heard President Monson say, “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.” I know this is true, and it gives me hope looking beyond my own inadequacies. I promise to be teachable, and I pray that I can be sufficiently meek that the Lord can mold and strengthen my spirit to accomplish his purposes."

David B Haight, June 2000 Ensign, "President Harold B. Lee often stated, “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.” One young man spoke to his bishop about his fear that he would not be able to learn the discussions or to teach the gospel. My own faith is continually strengthened by those who accept calls to serve God, who allow their love for the Lord to overshadow their fears, and who submit willingly to the call of our living prophet."

Richard C Edgley, January 2006 Ensign, "I believe the Lord is saying here that He calls, but we decide if we are chosen. Like Moses, I can do this with the Lord’s help.” President Thomas S. Monson, First Counselor in the First Presidency, has a favorite saying, which he has attributed to President Harold B. Lee (1899–1973): “Whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies.” 1 The Apostle Paul gave further assurance, declaring, “If God be for us, who can be against us?"



Sorry, for the length, and if I sound a little defensive - and for the many sources cited above. I was truly curious to see if I was standing on two feet doctrinally. I feel confident now that I am.

Heather
Tooele, UT

Purposefully naive, happily so

1 comment:

Kellye said...

Amen!