I am on the Primary Substitute List. As I am ward choir director, I am available to help out in Primary, and I feel bad for the primary teachers that have to call all over the ward looking for a substitute. I kind of set an internal limit on how often I sub, though - not more than two weeks in a row before I let myself think about saying no. The days that I sub in Primary, then go right to ward choir practice... are rough. My husband recently asked me to take my name off of the Primary substitute list - poor guy, he's had to substitute with me two times in the last two months. :( So, so sorry!
We substituted two weeks ago, and I made him teach the lesson. A room full of five year old boys - he did a better job than I would have done. Last Sunday, I woke up, reached for my scriptures to get my morning reading done, and one of my first thoughts of the day was, "I get to go to Sunday School and Relief Society today! I should read the lesson chapters!" Well, I should have suspected that I was too excited for that prospect - the phone rang a while later, and I yelled down to R "I don't want to substitute today!" He didn't hear me, or he did and didn't know what I wanted him to do about it, because he yelled up to me that Sister so and so was on the phone. I got on, and sure enough she was asking if I would sub for her. I said yes. I am ashamed to admit that a lot of murmuring followed. I didn't read the lesson. I barely got it printed out before going to church. I glanced through it in Sacrament meeting. I murmured some more. My tummy started hurting, and I murmured more about how awful it was going to be to try to teach a primary class when I wasn't feeling good.
I've felt a bit... unfulfilled lately in my calling, and in a quiet moment when I was not murmuring, the Spirit whispered, Perhaps you're getting the chance to teach in Primary so often as a way to give you another way to serve - perhaps you shouldn't be complaining about it, but appreciating it!
I was teaching my daughter E's class. The seven year olds, turning eight this year. The boys were a bit wiggly, but as a whole it was a good group of kids. I had worked out how I would start the lesson - we played Easter Pictionary, where each child got to draw something to do with Easter and the other kids guessed what it was. We left each picture up on the board as we played. After each child had a turn, I asked, "Is Easter really about a new dress? candy? a basket? eggs?" and erased each one off the board, finally erasing the Easter Bunny. Then, we started talking about the true meaning of Easter, which the kids pretty much knew.
Things started to change when I asked what ressurrection was. A boy in the class stated that if we live a really good life, after we die we go up to Heavenly Father, and if we were really good, then we get ressurrected. I told him he was half right, and I wrote Ressurrection and Atonement on the board. (I know, Ressurrection is technically part of the Atonement, but I wanted to keep it simple.) We discussed how to qualify for the cleansing power of the Atonement, we had to be good, and how the first four principles and ordinances of the Gospel (Article of Faith #4). Then, I asked again what we had to do to receive ressurrection. I could tell I was confusing the kids, so I gave them a little parallelism.
"Is the Easter Bunny like Santa Claus? Do you have to be good to get an Easter basket, or does the Easter Bunny give candy to everyone?" The kids quickly said, Everyone! I said, "But you have to be good to get gifts from Santa, right?" They all agreed. So, I told them that Ressurrection is like the Easter Bunny - everyone gets it, and the Atonement is like Santa Claus - you have to be good to receive that gift.
Another little boy started talking about the degrees of glory, so I thought we could discuss that. I wrote the 3 degrees of glory, and outer darkness, on the board, asking the kids for their help. I said, "Okay, knowing what we know, who gets a body?" The kids said, Only the top one, or, The three top ones, not Outer Darkness. I kept asking the question - Who gets ressurrected? Who gets their body back? They all were looking at me, knowing that I felt their answers were wrong, but they coudln't figure out what I wanted. I pointed to my other list, and I said, "If Ressurrection is like the Easter Bunny, and you don't have to be good to receive it, who gets their body back?" They looked up at the list, and slowly it dawned on them, and one of them said, "All of them?"
We continued on with our discussion, and at one point I heard my daugher, E, say, "This is starting to make sense!" I was glad that I wasn't being too confusing.
It was one of the best lessons that I have ever participated in. After that discussion, I went on to tell the story of Christ's life, and his death, and his friend's reactions to his death and ressurrection. I got to bear testimony of Christ, and I felt the Spirit so strongly.
I know, discussing such things with a room full of seven/eight year old kids seems a bit... deep. I prefer to teach like my dad - above what others might say is the level to teach a child - rather than teaching below their level and boring them. I have always appreciated the training I received from my parents. I didn't feel I was going too deep, and the kids were all bright and followed right along. It is a great age to teach.
I don't know if the kids will remember that lesson. I do know that it was important to the Spirit that it be taught, because I said some things that I wondered about - then realized why I said them after the fact. In other words, I felt led by the Spirit. I also know that I will remember the contrast between the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, and know that even in the most secular of celebrations, there are ways to find to testify of Christ. Everything testifies of Christ.
3 comments:
I will never forget that analogy. Thank you for sharing it. Thank you for substituting in Primary. I know the Lord only calls those who are the strongest in the ward to be in Primary, however, they need help. You are doing a great work!
I think it's so funny that you don't like to be a sub in Primary. Only because I can't think of you not liking to teach, and Primary is the funnest part of church. But you know me, I always look for the fun in everything!
I tell my kids that they have to be good to have the easter bunny come to their house, so it's good that they weren't in your lesson! LOL! But I do love your analogy. This year was fun for me, because Tate understood about the easter bunny, but I was also able to share about the atonement and the resurrection, something we haven't really been able to do until now. So, this has been one of my most successful holidays to date! Yeah!
when I read the title, I thought that you were going be talking about how over rated the holidays get with Santa and the Easter bunny. (it does)
This was much better, thank you so much for sharing.
I have been on that substitute list as well I totally understand. you could do what everyone does when I try to get a sub, never answer my phone calls and never call me back :)
I am glad you found the silver lining!
Post a Comment