Saturday, December 25, 2010

Bragging Rights

For a short time, I was Activities Chair in my ward. Before I really had time to DO anything, the Church decided it no longer needed to have Activities Committees... but I was able to complete the Christmas Party that I'd been planning.

I like to give gifts to the ward, a keepsake to remember that in the year 2010 I was in the ward. Mainly, this is an ornament. I got the idea from my first married ward in Phoenix, Arizona. I still have the ornament, and still remember that ward every time I put the ornament on the tree. So, I designed stencils to make 4 different Christmas ornaments that I then painted. The only part of the process I didn't do was the wood - a committee member had her husband cut that out for us. I am rather pleased with how the ornaments turned out, so I'm posting them here.

At first, I was trying to get a stamp that I could use... but then we weren't sure how the stamp would work on the painted wood... then we were going to do vinyl... but that was going to be expensive... I am actually surprised at how long it took me to decide to use stencils, as that is usually my first thought - I'm very practiced in designing, making, cutting out, and using stencils. I've done in for a border in my girls' room, and for an American flag I have hanging on my wall. I like stencils because I can do what I want, instead of changing what I want for what I can get...

Anyway, I just wanted to brag a bit, because I think they turned out rather nicely.





I didn't end up filling in the stencil marks on the lettering... I was going to, but didn't get it done before my committee saw what I was doing, and told me I was a bit crazy (I already knew that), and that it looked just fine with the lines in the letters. I still like the "Joy" lettering best, because I got those filled in before they stopped me!

I didn't take a picture, but I did a stencil on the back with our ward, and the year. I chose a font for that stencil that I could just leave the holes out - so the o was completely colored in. I wasn't totally OCD!!! :)

No comments: