Thursday, October 31, 2013

J is growing up

So, I just have to post some funny/sweet things J has said lately. Like, in the last week.

I was at the library, and had returned 3 kid DVDs 5 days late, so I had $15 in late fees. UGH. I went up to the librarian and told her I needed to pay my fees. In a surprised tone, she said, "And you're still smiling!"

J pipes  up and says, "My mom always smiles." I shared a smile with the librarian, which turned into a grin when he added, "Except when she's angry."

---

I am reading Alcatraz by Brandon Sanderson to my kids for a bedtime story. I highly recommend this activity, as it is a book that I enjoy as much as they do - but it is for older kids. J is at the bottom of the reading level, at age 6, and I'm certain he doesn't get all the jokes, but he follows the action well. Due to the funniness of the book, it leads to some fun with the kids.

In the first book, last month, Alcatraz is talking to the reader, and he assures the reader that every line in the book is serious, not funny, and very important. Rutabaga.

There is not explanation for the word Rutabaga, and the kids found it hilarious (as they are supposed to). It has now become somewhat of a family joke word. J laughed along, but I'm uncertain that he actually understood what we were all laughing at.

At the end of the first book, after all the chapters are done, there is that final closing group of pages in a book, that kind of summarize for us. We all know what this is called. When I read this word, preparing to continue on to the actual words, J breaks out laughing SO HARD, then repeats, "Epilogue!" Please, no one tell him that I was laughing not at the nonsense word Epilogue, but at my sweet 6-year old who thought he'd found another Brandon Sanderson joke.

Last night, in book two now, Kaz is explaining to Alcatraz his list of reasons that it is better to be short. J being about the same size as I imagine Kax being, he probably has the best perspective on this list. And he disagreed. Vehemently. I finally grew a bit tired of his interrupting every other sentence, and so I said, "J, you're talking to Kaz, a character in a book. Are you really arguing with someone who can't hear you?" I settled back down to start reading again, when he replied, "Yes, I am." It was the tone of voice as much as the words spoken, I burst out laughing. The other kids joined with me, and J gave us a sad face. I told him, "J, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing because that was funny what you just said. It was very smart and witty."

He asked why it was smart, and I said, "Funny things are often smart things." E told J, "Mom is calling you smart J!" J looked at E and said, "I don't need Mom to tell me I'm smart. I already know that I'm smart!" He paused, and said, "Mom, I think you're smart, too."

---

Finally, Ray has been trying for YEARS to correct the way J says L like a Y. Every time, I'll give him a look to stop him because J is my baby boy, and I didn't want to let go of the baby yet. Well, the time came when the school requested that they put J into speech therapy to correct what we should have done years ago, and I felt my responsibility in this decision. J is doing very well, does his speech homework without complaint, and corrects himself every time Ray or I remind him - which we try not to do too often, because we don't want it to become a THING that he can never get away from. So, my last hold on my baby J, my last baby, is slowing slipping away, being replaced by this new, grown up J who still loves me with every fiber of his being, and who is my sweetest baby boy.

I told my mom earlier in the week, everyone tries to get J to love them. They try to get him to give them hugs and cuddles, because he's just that cute. He refuses them ALL, and gives all his love to me. She told me I am a very luck woman. I agree.I wish he was more giving of his affection to others, especially to a Grandma who loves him dearly - but I can't complain about being his number one!

No comments: