Thursday, October 8, 2009

First Day of School!

My girls, on the morning of their first day of school, 2009


Is it just me, or do they look tired??



M started 4th grade this year




E started 1st Grade
3 cheers for no more half-day Kindergarten!!!

For their back-to-school clothes, I gave them each $20 and took them to Wal Mart. Neither needed much in the way of staples, but I always remember wanting to dress up in my newest, best, favorite clothes on the first day of school, and I didn't want them to miss that fun.

M had pointed out an outfit a few weeks before that she wanted. So, I went right over to it and showed it to M. She looked at the price tag, $14, and shook her head. I had debated many times about whether to get it for her or not, I hate not being able to afford buying my kids what they want. Obviously, I was worrying for nothing! She hadn't spent longer than that one minute at Wal Mart wanting it.

I was so impressed with both girls. They did their mental math - I helped E a bit, but not too much - and easily chose things they wanted to spend their money on. M went to the dressing rooms under budget, only the things she really wanted. E had more than her $20 would buy, but that was mainly because I had given her things to try on. She had no trouble deciding on what didn't fit her, and what she wanted to buy more than other things.

I am SO grateful for the many sources that led to this momentous event - letting the kids shop for themselves, instead of wheedling with Mom for more because they have no idea how much they've already spent! Great!