Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Help! My Two-Year-Old locked me out of my car!

Today, I went shopping with just J. Amazingly enough, shopping with the youngest is SO MUCH less stressful than shopping with the older ones - at least en mass. I got through my list, and J was still smiling and kissing me on the way out of the store! Amazing! Especially considering the lack of nap today.

J likes to climb through the back of the Durango to get to his seat. This is convenient for me, since I can load him through the same door I have to load the groceries. He climbed over the seat, and I went around and put my purse in the front seat - gotta be sure not to leave it in the cart, where anyone could drive by and steal it! I loaded up the groceries, keeping on eye on J while he explored the truck. He ended up in the driver's seat, exploring the buttons. He found the lock button. He locked the doors.

The lift gate was still up, but all the windows and doors were closed - and my keys were in my purse on the front seat! I asked J to push the button again. It is a toggle button, pull it towards you, lock the doors. Push it away from you, unlock! J had the pull down very well. He climbed up to the front, I went to the window, and cheered him on while he pushed the button again. And again. Lock. Lock. Lock!!!

I walked around to the back of the Durango and eyed the small space between the top of the seats, and the roof of the car. I know I CAN fit... was I desperate enough to do it? Not yet!

"J, push the button again! Try the other way!" LOCK.

Finally, I spotted another option. "J, get my purse!" He looked at me and smiled. "Wha?" My purse!! My bag! Get my red bag! He pointed to the diaper bag. No, the other one! He pointed to a bag of groceries; NO! The RED one! He stood up, moved closer to the seat, and pointed at my purse. YES!!! Pick it up! I went around to the back, and he picked up my purse. "Bring it to me!" He smiled, and started climbing through the gap between the front seats. The purse got wedged between the seats and the center console. J pulled, and pulled, and grrrd and pulled. Lift! Lift it up! He pulled, and pulled, and I took a second to just LAUGH at myself, and this situation!

Finally, the purse came free, and J's face lit up to say, I did it! "Yeah! Good boy! Bring it to me!" He moved through the truck with no problem, and handed my purse out to me. Luckily, my keys were in my purse, instead of on the seat as I do sometimes. We were free!

Now, I am left wondering how many people went home laughing about the poor mom whose baby locked her out of her car!

1 comment:

Tooele Brezoff said...

I am always afraid of that, I started putting my keys in my pocket after I unlock the car so I can just toss my purse in load everything up and go! I guess I learned after driving to my sisters work MANY MANY times to bring her a spare set of keys, Ask Bryan... that was one of our dates!!!