As you know if you live in Utah, we've had a pretty crazy year so far. We've had maybe 5 nice Spring days in all, and our rain and snow has been through the roof! Over 200% in some areas! Along with the threat of flooding, which is awful for those affected by it, we've not had a good chance to really PLAY outside. Even the scout camp we were planning on attending got postponed from June to August, because there was just too much snow up in the mountains still!
Well, Ray had to do some rock climbing with the scouts to train them, and he invited the rest of us to join him in Draper after he was done with the scouts to have some family fun. I went to my gym class, and then we loaded up the car and drove out to Red Rock in Draper. The rope routes were already set up, so there was no impatient waiting (typically me) while Ray fooled around with ropes. It was just get the climbing harness on and go!
Of course, J's first line of business - eating!
If you look closely, you can see S's first missing tooth!
There was still some waiting around, but she sure looks cute doing it!
I asked her if she was sure she wanted to wear her pink party shirt to go rock climbing...
Her answer was obvious!
Finally, the harnesses were all on, and we could get to climbing.
The routes were all developed by a dentist, thus the interesting names.
The first route we climbed was called:
J saw that his brother was climbing, and he wanted in on the fun.
He grabbed the rope not in use, and tied his own knot!
Dad got a true kick out of that one!
After Dad fixed his knot, up he went.
Ray is standing on the ground in this shot,
spotting for him while I belayed.
The name of this route is:
Of course, what comes up must come down.
One second he was climbing happily,
Then he reached his limit, and was anxious to get DOWN!
M was the next one up the rock.
She went twice, and got the highest of the kids on this route.
She said, "By the time I'm 18, I'll be a great rock climber!"
Ray even managed to get me up on the rock,
first time ever in our marriage!
He told me to just use my cool yoga moves.
I got about 5 feet from the top of the route,
couldn't find a place to place my feet anymore,
and called it quits.
We don't have a picture, but Ray travelled up both routes, with me on belay.
He explained to me that when I'm letting the climber down, I just let the rope run through my hands.
He claims that he continued the instruction, adding some important details,
but he also admits that I was not looking at him, and quite possibly wasn't paying attention.
He paid the price for my lack of knowledge with a quick run down the mountain face after his first climb.
He was pretty shaken up after his quick trip, his breath and adrenaline pumping.
I did much better the second time. He told me I was going much too slow,
but wanted me to get a feel for how to control my climber.
Of course, while all of this was happening, there was off the rope climbing going on.
You can't explain to boys that they can only do what is safe!
M wanted to belay, and S wanted to climb.
While Ray was busy with them,
I followed E and J around.
Don't miss our own "Where's Waldo"!
Of course, no trip to Draper could end without a trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house!
By the time we drove home, J was asleep. So asleep that I was able to carry him upstairs and put him to bed for a nice long nap.
It is sometimes hard to be married to a Young Men's advisor. Ray has served in the YM in our ward for 7 years, with a short stint as Ward Executive Secretary, and there have been more than one argument about finding the balance between serving in his calling and being at home with the family.
Today was one of the first times that our family truly benefited from everything that he has been learning,
and were all old enough to participate in his passions.
Love you, Ray. Thank you for inviting us along, and spending 7 hours on the rock, serving the scouts and your family. We love you, and look forward to more such outings.
No comments:
Post a Comment