Oh, silly bands! Why do you have to be so fragile?
S got a blue star silly band at the library today. We come home, and he's outside playing, threatening to drop leaves on the top of a neighbor boy's head. The boy reached up to stop him, and snagged the beloved silly band.
S came to find me, and as I heard him coming I thought there must be blood! But, no, sadly it was worse than blood. He told me "HE broke my silly band!" and was crying so hard. I consider myself proud that I didn't grow impatient with all this silliness over a silly band, I just gave him sympathy. He looked at me with tear filled eyes and said, "I'm so sad."
The next question proved to be a challenge - "Can you fix it, Mom?"
I searched for the super glue, the wonder drug for fixing things... but there was none to be found, and I was dubious over the effectiveness of even super glue.
Enter clear nail polish and clear sewing thread. I tied the thread onto one side, then placed a dot of glue on the ends. Then, I wove the string around and around both sides, crossing over and around. Then, I covered the whole thing with more glue.
It is only the first day, and it isn't as good as new, but it is together again! I'm fairly proud of my imagination!
S, my little inventor, said, "Mom, what if this was a special kind of silly band, where when it broke, and you went to sleep, you woke up the next morning and it had fixed itself!"
J said, "That would be weird!"
No comments:
Post a Comment